Saturday, September 5, 2015

Goal seeking vs. purpose Tape #81

                                                 Reality of setting Goals
                                          Difference between goal and purpose

Now most everybody wants to read books and they study and they work on themselves and they pick on themselves and they try and achieve a goal.

Now in most psychology books today, we are goal seeking animals. And as long as I'm seeking and working towards goals, we probably are animals because a goal is that I'm going to be happy, I'm going to be at one with myself, I'm going to be peaceful when I achieve the goal. So we set up all manner of goals - a goal to be fully integrated later - a goal to be happy later - a goal to be free. And, of course as long as we've set up a goal, we have set it up into the future,  and the projection is the projection of our own conditioned mind - so we're chasing conditioning as long as we have a goal.

I asked a dear person a while ago, how 'bout dropping all those goals. He said, "Wish I could". But he had goals he felt he had to go with. And the goal is of course the projection of the mind - I will be happy - I will be "safe" later - I must accomplish so and so, and then I will drop the goals.

After observing this for a number of years, we do see that they get safe - really safe - their put away, straightened out in a nice little box, very lovely, very expensive coffin, very carefully put in the ground, and they aren't disturbed anymore. And that's the end product of the goal.

The goal is always to be what?

Safe later. Now purpose is an entirely different arrangement. Purpose is what you're doing with this moment.

Now many of us have a goal to learn. So people learn and we will do "what" later. So learning is connected to a goal.

Discovery is a joy at the moment.

Now, if you had as your purpose, now, just to be peaceful at this moment - that's no problem because you can do it with the greatest of ease, but you don't feel very important because you are not stretched out in this great big drive. But just say that your going to be peaceful this moment. Would that be hard? But you don't feel like you're really doing anything.

So the goal is I will be safe and peaceful and pleasant when I get so and so, so we set a condition of RIGHT NOW, and being peaceful or whatever it may be comes later.

(Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment